Housing Choice Voucher Program
The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program is a federally funded program that provides the property owner with direct monthly payments on behalf of the participating family to cover a portion of the rent. The HCV program provides quality rental housing for families, seniors and persons with disabilities who are earning incomes well below average.
Applicants who meet certain guidelines are given a housing voucher. The HCV program allows eligible families to rent from any qualified private landlord who accepts rental assistance vouchers. Participants negotiate their own lease and HomeFront pays a portion of their monthly rent directly to the property owner, based on their income and size of the household.
Rental assistance applicants are responsible for finding their own qualified housing unit. The property owner or landlord will establish the lease, enforce its provisions and collect the clients’ agreed-upon share of the rent. HomeFront pays the landlord a subsidy for the difference between the market rent price and the amount of rent paid by the tenant. The tenant’s rent is based on the household income. The property owner and/or landlord is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the facility. Properties eligible for rental assistance must be within HomeFront’s jurisdiction.
The Housing Authority of Billings is a field agent for the Montana Department of Commerce Housing Choice Voucher Program.
If you have a disability, as outlined under Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act or state or local Fair Housing Laws, and require an accommodation that would allow you to live and use your apartment or access facilities in a manner equal to that of a non-disabled tenant, you may qualify for a reasonable accommodation. Please download the request for a reasonable accommodation form below and submit it to HomeFront and/or contact us with any questions.
Download the HomeFront HCV participating landlord list.
Housing Choice Voucher forms
All HCV forms below are downloadable and should be returned to HomeFront. If you require a different form or need any other help, contact us.
- HomeFront pre-application — you can also apply online
- Waitlist information change form
- Waitlist information change form — MDOC only
- HCV annual recertification packet for current participants
- HCV change form
- MDOC change form
- HCV certification of zero income form
- MDOC certification of zero income form
- HCV Homeownership program FAQs
- HCV Homeownership program handbook
- Family Self Sufficiency (FSS) brochure
- FSS program application
- FSS monthly report and change form
- Statement of income from business
- Request to transfer (port) voucher out of HomeFront jurisdiction
- Verification of disability, HUD Form 90103
- Verification of student status
- Request for a reasonable accommodation
- Utility assistance worksheet
- VAWA information and certification
Downloads and links
2020 Voucher Payment Standards